Being involved in an accident with a large commercial truck in California can have a devastating impact on your life. The injuries you sustain in such an accident will likely require costly medical treatment. They could even permanently impair your mobility, cognition, and more.
You deserve to be compensated accordingly if you’ve been involved in a truck accident because a trucker or other party was careless. Review your case with a Santa Monica truck accident attorney at Randolph and Associates to learn more about your legal options in these circumstances.
Important Information About Santa Monica Truck Accidents
Santa Monica is located in Los Angeles County, one of the busiest parts of California. Because its roads are fairly crowded when compared to those in other parts of the state, truck accidents are somewhat common in Santa Monica.
Data from the California Officer of Transportation Safety indicates that 1,918 people were injured as a result of truck accidents in Los Angeles County in 2017. It’s likely many of these victims sustained particularly severe injuries. Because commercial trucks are larger than cars, their potential to cause significant harm is greater.
Truck accidents are often the result of negligence. Examples of negligence that may cause a truck accident include (but aren’t limited to) the following:
- A truck operator runs a red light or otherwise doesn’t obey the rules of the road.
- In an effort to make deliveries according to a strict schedule, a truck operator drives for a long stretch of time without getting proper rest. They fall asleep behind the wheel as a result.
- A trucking company doesn’t prioritize maintaining its fleet. Thus, accidents may occur due to brakes or other such truck parts failing.
Again, those are just a few examples. If you’ve been injured in a truck accident and plan to seek compensation, determining who caused your accident and gathering evidence proving they were negligent are two critical steps in the process.
The experts at a Santa Monica truck accident law firm can help by conducting a thorough investigation into your accident. This is key to identifying the liable parties and building a strong case against them.
Injuries Potentially Resulting from A Santa Monica Truck Accident
Large commercial trucks can cause serious injury to accident victims. Examples of injuries a victim of a Santa Monica truck accident might sustain include (but aren’t limited to) the following:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Crushed organs
- Internal bleeding
Potential Consequences Of A Truck Accident In Santa Monica
The consequences a victim might face in the aftermath of an accident involving a large commercial truck can vary depending on the severity of their injuries. Examples include:
- Medical bills: The injuries a victim of a Santa Monica truck accident sustains will almost always require medical treatment. Said treatment may be quite expensive. If a victim’s injuries are particularly severe, they may even require some degree of lifelong care.
- Lost wages: Truck accident victims often sustain injuries that render them unable to work. Some victims can return to work after making full recoveries. Others are permanently unable to return to their jobs. Regardless, when a victim can’t work, they can’t earn a paycheck, making it even more difficult for them to pay their medical bills.
- Paralysis: A spinal cord injury can result in paralysis. Adjusting to paralysis may have a significant negative impact on a victim’s quality of life.
- Cognitive difficulties: Many truck accident victims sustain traumatic brain injuries. Such injuries can result in impaired memory or other cognitive difficulties. These struggles will limit a victim’s ability to work and potentially interfere with their ability to perform various daily tasks.
- Pain: Medical bills are an example of economic losses a victim might incur after a truck accident. However, some losses/damages resulting from a truck accident don’t have an objective dollar value. A common example is physical pain. Although a victim’s pain might not have a clear monetary value, it may be possible for them to recover financial compensation for such losses with the assistance of a qualified Santa Monica truck accident attorney.
Unfortunately, the consequences one may face after being harmed in a truck accident can have lasting impacts. Victims deserve to be compensated accordingly.
So do the family members of those who lose their lives in truck accidents. If your spouse, child, or other such loved one passed away in a truck accident resulting from another party’s negligence, you may be eligible to recover compensation for such losses as:
- Funeral expenses.
- The cost of medical care a loved one receives before passing away.
- Loss of parental guidance/mentorship.
- Loss of consortium.
- Loss of a loved one’s wages.
Those are just a few examples. A lawyer can discuss this topic with you in greater detail if your loved one passed away in a truck accident someone else caused.
How Does A Santa Monica Truck Accident Lawyer Help?
Securing compensation after a Santa Monica truck accident will usually involve filing a claim to collect from the insurance of the trucking company or other such negligent party who caused your accident.
It helps to have legal representation when filing a claim. Insurance companies are businesses and often attempt to convince claimants to settle for less than they’re owed to avoid financial losses.
You’re typically more likely to recover proper compensation when facing off with an insurance company if you hire a lawyer. A Santa Monica truck accident attorney can help by:
- Gathering evidence to prove negligence.
- Calculating the potential value of your claim based on your past, current, and future losses.
- Negotiating with the insurance company.
Contact A Santa Monica Truck Accident Attorney
A truck accident can have a major impact on your finances and quality of life. Although no one can turn back time and prevent your accident from happening, a qualified Santa Monica truck accident attorney with Randolph and Associates can help you pursue the compensation you may be eligible for. Learn more about what we’ll do for you by contacting us online or calling us at 310-957-7900 for a free consultation.